[asterisk-dev] Considering changes to the Change Logs

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Tue May 9 04:07:05 CDT 2023

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 8:47 PM George Joseph <gjoseph at sangoma.com> wrote:

> Thinking of a few things...
>
> Look at...
>
> https://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/ChangeLog-18.18.0-rc1.md
> This file is WAY too big (over 700 lines) because it contains the full
> commit descriptions.  I'm thinking of shortening it down to be the same as
> the email announcements.  If you really want the details, you should be
> doing a `git log` anyway.

I disagree on the use of "git log" because that is thinking about this from
the perspective of a developer, not a user/deployer of Asterisk. They may
not even have git or have checked Asterisk out from git. I think it's
perfectly fine and even valuable for the ChangeLog to contain the full
commit description. The announcement provides high level, if you're
interested in more then you go to the ChangeLog. Why is it a problem?

> Check out 'releases/18' or 'releases/20'.
> First, I forgot to add the specific change log for the release (
> ChangeLog-18.18.0-rc1.md).  I'll fix that before releasing 18.18.0/20.3.0.
>
> Second, I should NOT have updated the ChangeLog and CHANGES files in the
> tarballs for release candidates.  I'll be backing those updates out.
> And speaking of ChangeLog and CHANGES... 'ChangeLog' has the full commit
> description for every commit since August 2013 (over 100K lines) and the
> CHANGES file has the highlights for every release since version 1.4.
> Because we always have multiple simultaneous releases in process, the files
> have large time/release gaps in them and aren't accurate.  They're also a
> pain to maintain.  Do we really need to keep them?  Going forward they're
> both just going to have the new release-specific ChangeLogs prepended to
> them anyway.
>
> Thoughts?

The ChangeLog and CHANGES files probably not. Personally I just use them as
an easier way to build up a first draft of what's gone on over the past
year.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead