[asterisk-dev] Considering changes to the Change Logs

George Joseph gjoseph at sangoma.com
Mon May 8 18:47:25 CDT 2023

Thinking of a few things...

Look at...
https://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/ChangeLog-18.18.0-rc1.md
This file is WAY too big (over 700 lines) because it contains the full
commit descriptions.  I'm thinking of shortening it down to be the same as
the email announcements.  If you really want the details, you should be
doing a `git log` anyway.

Check out 'releases/18' or 'releases/20'.
First, I forgot to add the specific change log for the release (
ChangeLog-18.18.0-rc1.md).  I'll fix that before releasing 18.18.0/20.3.0.
Second, I should NOT have updated the ChangeLog and CHANGES files in the
tarballs for release candidates.  I'll be backing those updates out.
And speaking of ChangeLog and CHANGES... 'ChangeLog' has the full commit
description for every commit since August 2013 (over 100K lines) and the
CHANGES file has the highlights for every release since version 1.4.
Because we always have multiple simultaneous releases in process, the files
have large time/release gaps in them and aren't accurate.  They're also a
pain to maintain.  Do we really need to keep them?  Going forward they're
both just going to have the new release-specific ChangeLogs prepended to
them anyway.

Thoughts?

--
George Joseph