[asterisk-dev] Final Preview: docs.asterisk.org

George Joseph gjoseph at sangoma.com
Mon Jul 10 17:19:55 CDT 2023

On Mon, Jul 10, 2023 at 1:06 PM <asterisk at phreaknet.org> wrote:

> On 7/10/2023 10:09 AM, George Joseph wrote:
> > I'm digesting this.  It may be a while. :)
>
> Sorry, didn't mean to dump a novel on you there. Let me know if there's
> anything I should clarify.

No worries.  I've managed to eliminate 'mike' completely and
restructured things so the left nav bar looks much like the original wiki
with an entry for each branch's API documentation.  The site is also now
built as one complete site and it's much easier to just build the static
docs then add in the dynamic docs.  The makefile also has a dependency on
./temp/build-XX/source/asterisk-docs.xml so if it already exists (say if
you pre-copied core-en_US.xml to it) it won't do the download and extract.
 I just need to update the README and I'll push this up as a new branch so
you can take a look without disturbing the existing stuff.

> On another note, after a couple months of being in the GitHub workflow,
> here's another suggestion for improvement, if it's an easy change to make:
>
> The workflow that reminds people to post a cherry pick comment is
> obviously helpful. However, I've noticed that this runs on issues,
> regardless of whether or not a comment already exists on the issue for
> cherry picks. I usually post that comment before the bot kicks in, but
> it comments nonetheless. GitHub sends a voluminous amount of email,
> which isn't necessarily bad per se, but at this point, I find I've been
> conditioned to ignore these emails and notices, though every now and
> then I will forget and then it ends up being harder to keep track of due
> to all the "noise" mixed in.

Actually, I thought I did this already but it must have escaped my mind.
I'll get to it this week.

> Instead of "crying wolf" all the time, would it be possible to have
> these comment on issues only if there isn't already an existing comment?
> If that wouldn't be trivial to do, no biggie, just one (minor) painpoint
> I've noticed.
>
> Other than the well known problem of the tests constantly failing to the
> point where I'm just ignoring test failures as well, no other issues
> I've noticed; everything has been pretty smooth. Kudos to George and
> everyone else for making this a really smooth transition.

Thanks!