[asterisk-dev] Mailing List Future

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Mon Dec 4 08:31:09 CST 2023

> On 4 Dec 2023, at 13:38, Joshua C. Colp <jcolp at sangoma.com> wrote:
>
> The mailing lists have remained unchanged since deployed.
…and the archives for everything is still around.

Mail is boring but very very long-term stable.

Forums are cool, sexy and keeps changing so we loose history because the cost of mirgrating old postings and comments is way too high and the marketing department that runs the forums seldom understand the need to keep it persistent…

I would encourage keeping a development mailing list.

/O

> For self hosting they would need to be completely redone on fresh infrastructure, fresh distro, fresh software, and hopefully things would possibly import. They'd also need to be updated to conform to current standards on sending so that that they don't appear as spam as often. (For me 25% of emails from the lists go to my spam currently and require manual involvement)
>
> For hosted we'd need support for over 2500+ subscribers for the -dev list if it were to be imported. For commercial entities we could possibly import, but for something like someone doing that work and effort and hosting I would not be comfortable providing such information, and people would need to sign up fresh again. It would also not be something I would be willing to spend money on due to the low use of the lists.
>
> Past that - can you explain why it's a bad idea? I've looked at the interactions for the past few years and while some have existed, they've been minimal over all.
>
> On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 8:28 AM Jaco Kroon <jaco at uls.co.za <mailto:jaco at uls.co.za>> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My 5c.  Killing the dev list is a bad idea.
>>
>> Most developers could not care about having to poll forums.  It also means that stuff that would previously get an audience will now get none.
>>
>> github discussions are better than forums at least.
>>
>> May I inquire as to the problem you're having with the ML?  Perhaps I might be able to assist ...
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Jaco
>>
>> On 2023/12/04 14:00, Joshua C. Colp wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings all,
>>>
>>> Over the past few years, the use of the Asterisk mailing lists has diminished, with far more conversation happening on the Asterisk community forums[1]. The state of email, to ensure reliable delivery, has also gotten more complicated - emails get caught by spam filters, etc.. To continue the mailing lists would require a huge time and resource investment, for minimal use.
>>>
>>> To that end, we’ve decided to discontinue the mailing lists effective February 1st, 2024.
>>>
>>> This means the following:
>>>
>>> 1. Sending and receiving mailing list emails will no longer be possible.
>>> 2. The list archives, however, will remain available.
>>>
>>> We need to decide the future of the asterisk-dev mailing list; specifically, where to hold discussions in the future. There are a few options:
>>>
>>> 1. A “Development” category exists on https://community.asterisk.org/ already that can be used.
>>> 2. We can use GitHub discussions, which keeps things with the GitHub project.