[asterisk-dev] Mailing List Future

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Mon Dec 4 08:19:13 CST 2023

On Mon, Dec 4, 2023 at 9:27 AM Fred Posner <fred at qxork.com> wrote:

> Looks like the majority of responses are negative.
>
> I’m also disappointed in this decision/
>
> > Over the past few years, the use of the Asterisk mailing lists has
> diminished, with far more conversation happening on the Asterisk community
> forums[1]. The state of email, to ensure reliable delivery, has also gotten
> more complicated - emails get caught by spam filters, etc.. To continue the
> mailing lists would require a huge time and resource investment, for
> minimal use.
>
> I don’t want to get on a “which is better” argument, but will add that
> email is by far the most accessible method of communication available to a
> worldwide audience of different means, languages, and abilities. It is not
> prohibitive by those with limited sight, easily translated, easily indexed
> for searching, and simple for those on even the most basic non-gui systems.
>
> Of course there are also other benefits that I think would only result in
> wasted typing as it seems that this decision done.
>
> I will say the disappointment comes from making such a change without even
> taking the minimal effort of surveying the user/list base/community for
> what methods would be most desired.

No changes have actually occurred as of yet, aside from me sending an
email, and I also gave 2 months of notice on purpose to allow people to
think and respond.

> The complicated argument, in my opinion, is a bit exaggerated and the
> issues have been handled by so many other groups, that assistance can
> surely be provided if the project having trouble.

Yes, it is possible. People have offered alternative suggestions, and I
have made note of them.

> To me personally, this shows how important it is to strengthen the
> community as a whole, to check the temperature now and then, and to
> consider feedback/audience/goal prior to making top down decisions.
>
> I remain disappointed; although to be honest, at this point, I’m not
> surprised by these decisions.

If you wish to be disappointed, then do so in me - as this is all my work.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead