[asterisk-dev] Mailing List Future

Fred Posner fred at qxork.com
Mon Dec 4 07:27:28 CST 2023

Looks like the majority of responses are negative.

I’m also disappointed in this decision/

> Over the past few years, the use of the Asterisk mailing lists has diminished, with far more conversation happening on the Asterisk community forums[1]. The state of email, to ensure reliable delivery, has also gotten more complicated - emails get caught by spam filters, etc.. To continue the mailing lists would require a huge time and resource investment, for minimal use.

I don’t want to get on a “which is better” argument, but will add that email is by far the most accessible method of communication available to a worldwide audience of different means, languages, and abilities. It is not prohibitive by those with limited sight, easily translated, easily indexed for searching, and simple for those on even the most basic non-gui systems.

Of course there are also other benefits that I think would only result in wasted typing as it seems that this decision done.

I will say the disappointment comes from making such a change without even taking the minimal effort of surveying the user/list base/community for what methods would be most desired.

The complicated argument, in my opinion, is a bit exaggerated and the issues have been handled by so many other groups, that assistance can surely be provided if the project having trouble.

To me personally, this shows how important it is to strengthen the community as a whole, to check the temperature now and then, and to consider feedback/audience/goal prior to making top down decisions.

I remain disappointed; although to be honest, at this point, I’m not surprised by these decisions.

Regards,

Fred Posner
p: +1 (352) 664-3733