[asterisk-dev] Mailing List Future

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Mon Dec 4 06:00:00 CST 2023

Greetings all,

Over the past few years, the use of the Asterisk mailing lists has
diminished, with far more conversation happening on the Asterisk community
forums[1]. The state of email, to ensure reliable delivery, has also gotten
more complicated - emails get caught by spam filters, etc.. To continue the
mailing lists would require a huge time and resource investment, for
minimal use.

To that end, we’ve decided to discontinue the mailing lists effective
February 1st, 2024.

This means the following:

1. Sending and receiving mailing list emails will no longer be possible.
2. The list archives, however, will remain available.

We need to decide the future of the asterisk-dev mailing list;
specifically, where to hold discussions in the future. There are a few

1. A “Development” category exists on https://community.asterisk.org/
already that can be used.
2. We can use GitHub discussions, which keeps things with the GitHub
project.
3. We can use a hosted mailing list elsewhere.

We suggest option #2, since it keeps things with the GitHub project, which
is where everything development-related happens now regardless. This has
been set up and enabled already.

If you have any input, now is the time to state it.

Cheers,

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead