[asterisk-dev] PJSIP Device Feature Key Synchronization architecture

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Fri Oct 21 06:53:18 CDT 2022

On Fri, Oct 21, 2022 at 8:29 AM <asterisk at phreaknet.org> wrote:

> On 10/21/2022 5:34 AM, Joshua C. Colp wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 8:23 PM <asterisk at phreaknet.org
> > <mailto:asterisk at phreaknet.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     Hi, all,
> >
> >          Something I have been working on recently is adding support to
> >     PJSIP for device feature key synchronization (the as-feature-event
> >     Broadworks spec that many common IP phones, e.g. Polycom support) to
> >     control server-side features from endpoints. It's using the PJSIP
> >     pub/sub capabilities; I had to add the ability to execute a custom
> >     module callback when a SUBSCRIBE is refreshed, but with that
> >     addition,
> >     it works as it's supposed to.
> >

> > You should further elaborate on all of the server-side features you
> > expect to implement, if it extends beyond DND.
>
> The other one is Call Forwarding (Always/Busy/No Answer, with number of
> rings)
>

> >     I wanted to solicit some input on what an ideal way of triggering
> >     updates should be. Currently we have hints, which actually work
> >     reasonably all right for Do Not Disturb, which is simply a boolean
> >     on/off, easily represented with a hint and custom device state for
> >     DND.
> >     The PJSIP module emits an AMI event, the user can process it and
> >     change
> >     the device state if needed, which will trigger a NOTIFY to go out
> >     to the
> >     endpoint.
> >

> > What user? An outside AMI application? An internal consumer in Asterisk?
>
> The administrator of the Asterisk system, who can add AMI logic to
> receive the event and then do something with it.
> The reason this is needed is the phone isn't turning DND on directly,
> for example. It's merely a request. The server can decide to not allow
> it, for example if that phone isn't allowed to toggle DND. The server
> will process it, and send it the updated status. This usually reflects
> what the phone wanted, but not necessarily.
> (I've elaborated on this more below)

Okay, that's not the administrator of an Asterisk system. That's a
developer using Asterisk who may be the administrator. Those are two
separate things. As soon as you bring AMI into the mix then it's making a
solution using Asterisk. That's not a wrong thing, but it's important to be
clear in the audience. Many average users of Asterisk doesn't know or care
about AMI, 'nor do they code for it. They may use additional solutions that
utilize AMI but they themselves haven't the foggiest of the details.

> [...]
> Set(PJSIP_DEVICE_FEATURE_STATE(PJSIP/Polycom1,donotdisturb)=enabled) or
> Set(PJSIP_DEVICE_FEATURE_STATE(PJSIP/Polycom1,callforwardingnoanswer)=8675309,4)
>
> (forward on no answer to 8675309 after 4 rings).
>
> Internally, PJSIP_DEVICE_FEATURE_STATE could also persist input to AstDB
> so it's available to the module.
>
> > As an everyday user I'd expect not to have to deal with AMI or complex
> > dialplan. I'd expect to be able to set and get the information from
> > the dialplan using dialplan functions (or a single function) so I
> > could use that in the dialplan, and have it "just work" with my phones
> > that support the feature. I'd expect it to persist across Asterisk
> > restarts. For example ${EXTENSION_DND(alice)} for retrieving DND
> > status of Alice, and if Asterisk restarted then that should stay the
> same.
>
> That's a good point. The problem is that means that Asterisk internally
> is the source of truth of DND, and that may not necessarily be what
> people want. For instance, that wouldn't meet my own requirements. The
> way that Broadworks works is the phone is merely requesting a certain
> disposition, but the server isn't under any obligation to carry it out.
> So I think there needs to be some mechanism for the user to be involved
> in that pipeline, to be able to deny something that a phone wants. Maybe
> the user doesn't have DND, maybe certain phones aren't allowed to
> toggle, whatever. Lots of people store their feature states in MySQL
> databases and use them for Asterisk clusters. Some systems might have
> specific requirements for that. So users should have flexibility to
> reject it. On some systems, maybe the same DND status is used for
> several lines and Asterisk internally would not have any idea about this.
> There are lots of different scenarios that are beyond what I think
> Asterisk itself should handle, hence the "two-part" process described
> above: the user (system admin) can do whatever needs to be done, and
> then just tell PJSIP what the new state is. PJSIP doesn't need to know
> or care about where feature states are actually stored or what the logic
> is or how they are mapped to endpoints.
>
> I do see your point though and I think it would be nice to have a
> "simple, default mode" where Asterisk will internally just "approve
> everything" that the phone wants, and users can use that if that suits
> their needs, but fundamentally I think users should be able to be
> involved in the decision pipeline if they want/need to. I'm not yet sure
> what that would look like: maybe a pjsip.conf option to emit AMI events
> rather than auto-handling them? And then the PJSIP_DEVICE_FEATURE_STATE
> function would have to be used to tell PJSIP what to do, and Asterisk
> itself would not be the source of truth for feature statuses in this
> case (but it would cache them as described above) (though in this case
> reading the PJSIP_DEVICE_FEATURE_STATE could still return the cached

Okay, YOUR usage is based on an API interface for developers to allow
external source of truth and logic. That's what it is. My response did not
approach it from that perspective.

I don't have thoughts on that aspect currently. It requires more time.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Project Lead