[asterisk-dev] Doxygen \since

asterisk at phreaknet.org asterisk at phreaknet.org
Thu Jan 13 12:19:22 CST 2022

n 1/13/2022 1:12 PM, Kevin Harwell wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Looking for opinions.
>
> When documenting API calls in Asterisk one can use the Doxygen \since
> command [1] to specify which version of Asterisk the function was
> added in. For example: \since 13.25.0 [2]
>
> Do folks find this helpful, and worth having? As a developer, when
> adding a new API does trying to figure out what version of Asterisk
> things will go in become too cumbersome?
>
> Personally, I've found having the version number on a function only
> slightly helpful. I've used that info once, maybe twice, but feel it's
> not worth the upfront cost (figuring out version info at patch time
> for each branch, having to update a review if it doesn't make it in
> before the expected release, etc...)
>
> So my vote is to drop its usage. Certainly though if many others find
> it useful, or have a good reason to continue using the command we can.

I remember adding the \since once (I think I did \since 18) and was told
that I had not done it correctly, and just to remove it, so I would say
that \since is not intuitive and use of it seems to be being avoided
from what I have seen. If a new API went in now, is it since 16, 18, or
19? Or 16.19, 18.9, etc.? I don't think it's *unhelpful* but it hasn't
affected me a lot either way.

Something more useful I think is having a <since> in the xmldocs for
individual applications, functions, and other user-facing things (not
entire modules), to inform users about when certain things were added to
Asterisk. That seems more useful in practice than \since in doxygen, and
I think would have more of a beneficial impact, especially if it showed
up on the wiki. (On my list of things to add at some point.)

NA