[asterisk-dev] Manually registering a device within Asterisk

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Mon Oct 25 09:52:01 CDT 2021

On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 11:50 AM Luke Escudé <luke at primevox.net> wrote:

> Strange question, but we have a pretty valid use case:
>
> Is there a way to "tell" asterisk where a registered device is located?
> Basically force-register the device, so that Asterisk thinks the device has
> registered the "normal" way?
>
> Use case: Our cluster of Asterisks will move Asterisk instances around
> various datacenters to maximize uptime, quality, etc. Whenever Asterisk
> starts back up, it has no knowledge of devices registered during its
> previous existence. So, our SIP Proxy will iterate through all
> registrations and proxy the REGISTER packets to Asterisk. However I am
> looking for a better way to do this, like reaching directly into the AstDB
> or something to "put" the devices in memory.

Not in a way that would result in things working as expected. You'd need to
continue with the REGISTER approach. The REGISTER itself and that operation
triggers events internally which then cause other things to occur. Altering
the underlying store bypasses that. Endpoint state wouldn't be accurate for
example.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead