[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Module Deprecation

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at digium.com
Thu Mar 11 09:14:30 CST 2021

Kia ora,

It's been some time since our discussion last year regarding module
deprecation but over the past few weeks and days I've been working out the
details of putting it into action. To that end I've created a wiki page[1]
describing the policy and providing step by step instructions for module
deprecation and removal. These instructions cover the discussion, JIRA, and
code sides. I have also put up reviews[2][3][4][5] for the technical side
of things. These changes allow the information regarding when a module was
deprecated and when it will be removed to be communicated to users in
earlier branches. The information is displayed both in menuselect but also
appears at Asterisk startup. The changes have not yet been merged but I'll
be working to take care of any comments and ensure they are. Finally I've
audited the tree and created a wiki page[6] listing modules that can be
removed for 19.

To those reading this wiki page you may note a few things:

The app_macro module is tentatively scheduled for 19, but I have an open
dialog with the FreePBX team at Sangoma to make sure this is possible as
they are a consumer of the app_macro module currently. Depending on
discussions and information this could get pushed to 21 but I will try for
19.

I have also slated res_monitor for removal in 21 instead of 19. This module
still seems to have a loyal following so I believe setting it to
defaultenabled no and giving further notification of removal is the most
reasonable course of action for it so we can determine if truly removing it
is the best option.

Finally I have also added some proposed module deprecations for 19. If
anyone has any concern with these we can start the discussions, and this
includes others proposing deprecation of additional modules.

I think that's about it for module deprecation for now but in approximately
2-4 weeks after things have settled I will also be writing a blog post
about this subject and posting it in the various user focused places:
https://community.asterisk.org/ so that Asterisk users are also aware of
this (albeit from a higher level perspective).

I think that's about it! Have a super day all.

Cheers,

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Module+Deprecation
[2] https://gerrit.asterisk.org/c/asterisk/+/15599
[3] https://gerrit.asterisk.org/c/asterisk/+/15624