[asterisk-dev] Jira / Gerrit Integration Issue

George Joseph gjoseph at sangoma.com
Thu Jun 10 10:30:30 CDT 2021

You already know about the SSH host key issue related to the upgrade of
Gerrit we did on May 28th.    That issue we knew about in advance so we
gave everyone advance notice.  Well, we discovered another issue related to
SSH but this one was after the fact...

We use a Jira plugin to display open Gerrit reviews for issues.  This
plugin is quite old and we discovered last Tuesday that it was using SSH
Key Exchange Algorithms (kex) that are also quite old and known to be
insecure.  With the Gerrit upgrade, those older kex algorithms were removed
so Jira was no longer able to log into gerrit via ssh and retrieve the
reviews.

So we actually have two issues...  First Gerrit really messed up with their
release notes because there was absolutely no mention of the implications
of their upgrading their SSH backend.  I've taken that up with them.
 Second, the Gerrit plugin for Jira really needs an update but it's not
well maintained and although we could fix it, we're not exactly overstaffed
right now.   The Gerrit team did agree to re-enable the older kex
algorithms in their 3.4.1 release but that only helps us in the short term
as they will eventually be deprecated for good.

So while we should have the integration working again shortly, we're still
not sure what to do in the long term.   Would any of you with Java
experience be able to take a look at the jira-gerrit-plugin[1]?  It's
actually not that complex but it needs its SSH backend (com.jcraft.jsch)
replaced.   If any of you are interested, let me know and I can give you
the details.

[1] https://github.com/MeetMe/jira-gerrit-plugin

--
George Joseph