[asterisk-dev] Module Deprecation, Default Not Building, and Removal

Joshua C. Colp jcolp at sangoma.com
Thu Oct 1 14:54:40 CDT 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 4:31 PM BJ Weschke <bweschke at btwtech.com> wrote:

> Four years, is indeed, really long. I do agree with this. As an example, I
> work with another project where the work involves some integrations with
> software that is in the head units of vehicles. Right now, they’re working
> to certify and lock down code and functionality for the 2023 vehicle model
> year which will hit dealer lots for the first time in just about two years
> from now. Once final certification occurs, in the vast majority of cases,
> nothing changes and the vehicles roll off the assembly line with the
> integration that was certified. If software that is involved in the
> manufacturing of vehicles can manage change risk within a two year window,
> it only seems reasonable that the Asterisk project should be able to do the
> same.
>

>From the development side we certainly can. The question is really - is it
fair to the Asterisk user base, will they they accept it, will there be
substantial backlash? The answer could be its fine. I don't really have a
concrete answer though at this moment and likely wouldn't until put into
action.

For a 2 year strategy I think it would go as such:

1. Minor releases receive change to indicate that module is to be
deprecated in a future major release
2. Module is marked deprecated and defaultenabled no in standard release
(19), which carries over to next LTS release (20)
3. Announcement and documentation for each includes notice of deprecated
modules
4. Standard release after this it is removed (21), which carries over to
next LTS release (22)
5. Announcement and documentation for each includes notice of removed
modules

A wiki page would still be kept to keep track of modules in process of
being removed.

Note that I'm just putting this out there so people see in comparison to
the other one what the process would be like.

--
Joshua C. Colp
Asterisk Technical Lead