[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 18 Planning: Codec Negotiation

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Wed Jan 29 15:44:53 CST 2020

Ugh I used the wrong keyboard shortcuts and the message sent before I was
done. Below is the rest :-)

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 3:42 PM Kevin Harwell <kharwell at digium.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 3:12 PM Michael Maier <m1278468 at mailbox.org>
> wrote:

>> From my point of view, it should always be possible to prevent
>> transcoding as long as there is one codec which can be used on both
>> sides. If there is more than one codec equal on both sides, it's good to
>> have the possibility by your planned options if the local or the remote
>> most preferred codec should be used.
>>
>> Default configuration for me would be like that:
>> incoming_sdp_receive_prefs=local
>> outgoing_sdp_send_prefs=remote
>> outgoing_sdp_receive_prefs=local
>> incoming_sdp_send_prefs=local
>> transcode=avoid
>>
>> From my understanding, this should avoid any unnecessary transcoding as
>> long as there's just one common codec on both sides and should always
>> prefer the codecs desired by the caller.
>>
>> Did I got this correctly?
>>

> We're still working through the idea of the "transcode" option, and how it
> might work in practice. But what you have is the general idea. To better
> avoid it, in the setup you have above I'd probably modify the following:

incoming_sdp_send_prefs=remote

This would send in the answer to Alice the exact order preferred by Bob. If
Alice accepts then Asterisk should never transcode.

--
Kevin Harwell
Senior Software Developer