[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 18 Planning: Codec Negotiation

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Wed Jan 29 15:42:02 CST 2020

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 3:12 PM Michael Maier <m1278468 at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Will Asterisk 18 be a LTS version?

I'll defer the answer to that question to others :-)

> From my point of view, it should always be possible to prevent
> transcoding as long as there is one codec which can be used on both
> sides. If there is more than one codec equal on both sides, it's good to
> have the possibility by your planned options if the local or the remote
> most preferred codec should be used.
>
> Default configuration for me would be like that:
> incoming_sdp_receive_prefs=local
> outgoing_sdp_send_prefs=remote
> outgoing_sdp_receive_prefs=local
> incoming_sdp_send_prefs=local
> transcode=avoid
>
> From my understanding, this should avoid any unnecessary transcoding as
> long as there's just one common codec on both sides and should always
> prefer the codecs desired by the caller.
>
> Did I got this correctly?

We're still working through the idea of the "transcode" option, and how it
might work in practice. But what you have is the general idea. To better
avoid it in the setup you have above I'd probably modify the following:

--
Kevin Harwell
Senior Software Developer