[asterisk-dev] Memory leak since Asterisk 16.5.x / pjsip

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Mon Sep 16 13:19:20 CDT 2019

Actually can you create a new issue for this on the issue tracker. As well
included the following:

Has anything else changed? For instance was openssl upgraded between then
too?

Speaking of which, what version of openssl is installed? As well what OS,
and version?

I assume before downgrading you were using the bundled version of Asterisk?
When you downgraded to pjproject 2.8 did you also install the patches that
had been included with Asterisk for 2.8 that were under the
"third-party/pjproject/patches/" directory?

Lastly, can you attach the config_site.h you used and the ./configure
command you used when configuring/building pjproject 2.8.

Thanks!

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 12:23 AM Michael Maier <m1278468 at mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Since Asterisk 16.5.x (without any additional patch at all), I' m seeing
> continuously rising memory consumption each hour even if there where no
> calls at all. It's about
> 792 kbytes (RSS) each hour (3 SIPS / TLS 1.2 trunks, 10 min
> ReRegistration, 240 s OPTIONS, 1 SIPS trunk, 60 s ReRegistration, 2 SIP
> extensions)
>
> Therefore I tested different scenarios:
>
> Asterisk 16.4.1 -> no memory leak
> Asterisk 16.5.1 -> memory leak
>
> Asterisk 16.4.1 with pjsip 4.9 -> memory leak
> Asterisk 16.5.1 with pjsip 4.8 -> no memory leak
>

> Therefore, I can say, that there is a problem related to pjsip 4.9 (maybe
> it's a pjsip problem itself or Asterisk should have been changed to adopt
> new behavior of pjsip 4.9).
>
> Anyway: Asterisk is quite unusable since 16.5.x. 2 times I already
> encountered the OOM killer reaping an asterisk 16.5.x process consuming far
> too much memory.
>

> BTW: I'm not really happy with the fact, that an existing LTS / stable
> version gets a new pjsip version "on the fly". From my point of view, this
> should have been done
> during a normal development cycle and not during a stable phase.
>

> Thanks
> Michael
>
> --

Kevin Harwell
Digium - A Sangoma Company | Senior Software Developer
Check us out at: https://digium.com & https://asterisk.org