[asterisk-dev] Encountering a crash when answering calls since upgrading from 16.3.0 to newer versions

Dan Cropp dan at amtelco.com
Tue Oct 15 16:01:55 CDT 2019

We have been running asterisk 16.3.0 for some time without problems in house and at customer sites.

I submitted some patches which are now part of asterisk 16.6.0.  I have been able to use those patches with 16.3.0 and no issues.

Last week, I attempted to convert to 16.6.0.  Everything works fine on my own VMs (Hyper-V and VMWare Workstation).
However, we have a VM (VMWare ESXi) in our quality assurance testing department.  This box doesn't have source code, we install asterisk on the box through our own package.  Haven't had any problems over the decade or so we've been doing this.

On this box, everything installs correctly.  Asterisk comes up and I see devices registering.
I then place a call into the system.
We use AMI through our own software and send the action to answer the call.  Asterisk then crashes on this VM.
To rule out our software, I have fired up asterisk standalone and used a telnet session to connect up issuing actions through telnet.  This also crashes.

I decided to try asterisk 16.5.0 and the same crashing problem happens on this VM.
Next, I tried asterisk 16.4.1 and I'm encountering the same issue.

I decided to go back to 16.3.0 and compile without any of our patch submissions.  This had no problems.

Summary, everything is great on asterisk 16.3.0 (with and without the patches we added to asterisk future versions).
I have no issues with the version when I install on a separate VM on my own box.  I have tried VMs locally using VMWare Workstation and Hyper-V without any issues.

The only thing I can think of is we do include unimrcp asterisk support and their latest package is currently for asterisk 16.3.0.
Could this be causing the crashes?

Anyone have any thoughts on what I could try or do to diagnose the issue?

Dan