[asterisk-dev] Audio to/from Asterisk

Dan Jenkins dan at nimblea.pe
Tue Oct 16 09:53:02 CDT 2018

Thanks for the reminder Matt.

The minutes from devcon can be found here if anyone is interested -
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/astridevcon+2018+minutes

At devcon we talked about the growing need to be able to read audio from a
channel and be able to pump audio back into a channel too from third party
applications. Historically we'd use app_jack or file descriptors in AGI etc
etc, but none of this really works very well for how a lot of us now build
applications - using ARI we build applications which run outside of
Asterisk's host OS and we don't have access to files/file descriptors etc
etc so we now want to be able to get access to this audio data via other
means (as well as not using Dialplan applications)

Sean mentioned he'd made something that did a lot of what we wanted in his
"audiosocket" application - however its only a dialplan application which
isnt much use when it comes to apps built with ARI.

We proposed a combination of a few ideas and this is where we should
probably have a discussion. My first idea was to be able to stream a
channel's audio via a http endpoint in the ARI which is great for taking
audio and piping it off to another provider to do speech recognition for
example.... but its no good for sending generated audio back into a channel
- at which point the conversation about audiosocket was brought up - other
than it being a tiny bit harder to get set up and get started, this is a
much better all round solution. I'd love to be able to pass into the ARI,
send audio to this IP at this port number, or doing a GET request to get
the IP and port for our app to go and connect to.

All of us at devcon would love to hear more about what other real world
scenarios and what would really work for everyone. But for me, I'd plus 1
either of those ARI slutions where I either tell asterisk where to send the
audio on a tcp socket, or i get told via the ARI where to connect to.

Dan