[asterisk-dev] Which enviroments are supported, really?

George Joseph gjoseph at digium.com
Fri Jan 26 11:07:30 CST 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 4:41 AM, Alexander Traud <pabstraud at compuserve.com>
wrote:

> > Testing FreeBSD poses other problems however. None of us really work
> > with BSD based distributions so it would take more time that we have
> > available to do any serious testing there.
>
> Can you give an example of those anticipated problems?
>

> Greater differences allow deeper learning. Especially, OpenBSD and FreeBSD
> look like promising candidates with their different default shells and
> compilers. If you have a look at my reported issues, those were just
> copy-and-paste mistakes, slipped through errors, and wrong assumptions;
> trivial things. But big enough to be a show-stopper for a novice user.
>
> I am not about Continues Integration. I am about a manual test after a
> major release (for example before the xx.2 release) on platforms which
> should do, but which were not tested. I am not about running the whole Test
> Suite but just about installing Asterisk and running it once (to
> double-check there are no loader issues and no false errors). That took me
> seconds (after updating the dependencies lists for those platforms in the
> script install_prereq).
>
> Then, one goes through the findings. As described above, often easy to
> fix, especially for the one who introduced that code change. Ideally the
> remaining issues are reported on Jira, with a note that those issues must
> be fixed by the community. Done.
>
> Integrators and maintainers on those platforms can then use that
> information as starting point while creating their patches. That should
> even ease their contribution back upstream.

At the present time all non-Linux distributions/operating systems are
entirely community supported.  We just don't have the resources to expand
testing or to deal with issues reported on those other platforms.

We are thinking about how to deal with install_prereq however.  Possibly
splitting it into supported and unsupported and/or maybe adding options to
control whether all known dependencies are installed or jus tthose required
to support core functionality.  It may also be possible to tie it into the
scripts we use to set up our jenkins slaves so that we're not using 2
different sets of packages.  This isn't high on our priority list though.

> --

George Joseph
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer