[asterisk-dev] Which enviroments are supported, really?

Alexander Traud pabstraud at compuserve.com
Fri Jan 26 05:41:33 CST 2018

> Testing FreeBSD poses other problems however. None of us really work
> with BSD based distributions so it would take more time that we have
> available to do any serious testing there.

Can you give an example of those anticipated problems?

Greater differences allow deeper learning. Especially, OpenBSD and FreeBSD look like promising candidates with their different default shells and compilers. If you have a look at my reported issues, those were just copy-and-paste mistakes, slipped through errors, and wrong assumptions; trivial things. But big enough to be a show-stopper for a novice user.

I am not about Continues Integration. I am about a manual test after a major release (for example before the xx.2 release) on platforms which should do, but which were not tested. I am not about running the whole Test Suite but just about installing Asterisk and running it once (to double-check there are no loader issues and no false errors). That took me seconds (after updating the dependencies lists for those platforms in the script install_prereq).

Then, one goes through the findings. As described above, often easy to fix, especially for the one who introduced that code change. Ideally the remaining issues are reported on Jira, with a note that those issues must be fixed by the community. Done.

Integrators and maintainers on those platforms can then use that information as starting point while creating their patches. That should even ease their contribution back upstream.