[asterisk-dev] Compiler feature requirements

Corey Farrell git at cfware.com
Wed Jan 24 15:50:42 CST 2018

I've posted ASTERISK-27619 [1] proposing that we drop support for GCC
versions older than 4.1.2.  Specifically we'd be requiring that either
__sync or __atomic builtin functions be available (I'm unsure what this
will do to clang requirements).  gcc-4.1.2 was released in February 2007
and was the version provided by CentOS 5.  I've posted a PR to the
jansson project [2] which will make reference counting thread safe, but
I'm getting push-back on the parts needed to provide a replacement
function for old compilers.  Since reference counting in jansson was
never thread safe before I think they'd rather just leave it as is for
old compilers.

Obviously this proposal is for Asterisk 16+ only.  Does this matter to
any distributions that will be supported beyond this October?

[1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-27619
[2] https://github.com/akheron/jansson/pull/389