[asterisk-dev] Branching in the Testsuite

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Mon Jan 22 15:08:26 CST 2018

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Kevin Harwell <kharwell at digium.com> wrote:

> I'm getting ready to start the process of branching the testsuite. I'm
> going to give a basic overview here of what I'm going to do, so as things
> get posted on gerrit people will have some idea as to what is coming, and
> why.
>
> To start I'm not going to touch the current master branch. This will be
> renamed later to "legacy" once the new branches have all been created and
> readied.
>
> The first branch I'll create is the 13 branch. Once created I'm going to
> remove all tests that have their min version's marked as < 13.19.0 (current
> release of Asterisk). I'll then push this up for review. Once it's accepted
> I'll move onto the next step.
>
> Next I will create the 14 branch from the 13 branch. I'll then remove all
> tests from the 14 branch that have their min version's marked as < 14.7.5.
> I'll also remove all tests from the 13 branch that have a max version > 13.
> I'll then push both of these for review.
>
> Once accepted I'll then do similar for the 15 branch. It will be created
> from 14, and all tests will be removed that have a min version < 15.2.0.
> All tests with a max version > 14 will be removed from the 14 branch. Once
> these have been reviewed and accepted I will do the same for what will be
> the new master branch (probably temporarily call it that, "new_master",
> until we rename the old one to "legacy").
>
> Once all this part is done, or mostly done for a branch, I'll go through
> all the tests for each branch and remove the versioning stuff from the yaml
> files.
>
> At this point the branches should be in their final ready states. I'll
> update the Jenkins scripts to point to the new branches (13, 14, 15).  If
> everything seems good to go I'll rename the current master to "legacy", and
> rename "new_master" to "master". I'll also I'll create a tag for each
> branch based on the latest Asterisk version that's been released. At some
> point in this process I'll also update the mkrelease script to auto-create
> a new tag in the testsuite based on the version of Asterisk being released.
>
> I'm hoping by doing it this way it will minimize the size of the each
> review and help separate out the different types of changes.
>
> Thanks!

Actually, as the head of the testsuite branch is always moving toward the
next release I'm going to remove tests for each branch less than or equal
to the current released version of Asterisk for a branch. That'll make the
new branches starting point align with the following Asterisk versions:

13.20.0
14.7.6
15.3.0

To run any test against Asterisk prior to these versions one will need to
run them against the "legacy" branch.

Kevin Harwell
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer