Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Oct 16 05:35:25 CDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017, at 07:22 AM, Alexander Traud wrote:
> Issue 1:
> When I
> 1) git review --draft ... on the command line of my computer,
> 2) cherry pick that change to other branches via the Web interface, and
> 3) publish those changes via the Web interface,
> I have to reply with "recheck" on the initial review, the one I submitted
> as draft via the command line, always. Could somebody look into that, so
> the check is done automatically when a review is published = leaves the
> draft mode? Or is there any other trick?

The configuration for this is actually itself kept in Gerrit[1] so
anyone can look and make changes. George would probably be the one who
could most quickly do such a thing.

> Issue 2:
> When I cherry pick a draft via the Web interface, it is public visible
> (published) right away. I would have expected the cherry pick to stay a
> draft. Is that a configuration thing in Gerrit or an issue of the Web
> interface of Gerrit?

It's the web interface of Gerrit. I haven't found an option to make the
draft status preserved.

> Issue 3:
> When I cherry pick via the Web interface, the branch is appended to the
> topic automatically, for example ASTERISK-xxxxx gets ASTERISK-xxxxx-13. I
> have to edit that manually. Is there any other trick instead of cherry
> picking via the command line?

It's Gerrit doing it, and there's no option I've found to change it.
Manually doing it is the only way to ensure it doesn't get appended.

> Issue 4:
> When an identical change is cherry picked to several branches, reviewers
> comment sometimes in branch 13 and sometimes in the branch master. Is it
> possible to streamline this, and always use one specific branch for
> example the oldest LTS or the master branch?

We could certainly ask people to do this but there's no enforcement
possible of it.

> Issue 5:
> When I edit a commit message via the Web interface, there is a (red) hair
> line after 72 columns. However according to
> <http://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Commit+Messages>, wrapping
> should happen after 80 columns. This is confusing. Could somebody
> configure this in Gerrit? Or is this a static value which is not
> changeable?

Gerrit is already set to 80 for both the subject length and max line
length of the commit message itself. The web editor is fairly new, so it
may have some sort of fixed size in it for warning.

> Issue 6:
> As with the previous Reviewboard software, I see many changes submitted
> to Gerrit without any issue in Jira. That is allowed, I know. However,
> Jira allows me to link issues. This linking helps the original author to
> be aware of missed corner cases or defects of his change. Because some
> changes go through without any issue report, I do not know how to link
> those in Jira so their authors learn. Is there any trick, I am missing?

Not really. Everything gets linked based on the topic of the change
matching a JIRA issue number. Without that there's no link.

> Issue 7:
> The guidelines for commit messages state: "end the first sentence (and
> any subsequent sentences) with punctuation." Even Digium employees do not
> do that. That guideline is still in effect, isn't it?

Technically yes but it's a comparatively small thing in the grand scheme
of things so it doesn't see much enforcement.

[1] https://gerrit.asterisk.org/#/admin/projects/infrastructure

--
Joshua Colp