[asterisk-dev] Adding a call preemption feature

James Finstrom jfinstrom at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 16:33:05 CST 2017

I wasn't saying it was an invalid feature at all,  I just see the
ramifications of these features because someone set something wrong. Their
system starts doing obscure things and you spend way too much time tracking
it down.  In general the user experience which is also heavily linked to
their customer experience is  paramount.  So dropping calls in most cases
without warning is not ideal.

I also think for these types of things the ideal of ARI is absolutely
perfect.

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Phil Mickelson <phil at cbasoftware.com>
wrote:

> Jean,
>
> You should know that I wrote something very similar to what you are asking
> for.  Slightly different reasons and I use ARI which makes it very easy.
> However, the result is the same.  The inbound call gets terminated.
>
> For those of you who don't know why you'd do this here's the situation:
> If you're running a live operator answering service and have a customer who
> hasn't and won't pay their bill but still forwards the calls.  Unless you
> terminate the call when it comes in then you have operators answering calls
> where they have to tell the caller they're not going to get taken care of.
> It's much easier to just terminate the call before it's answered.  ARI
> makes this very easy.  And, BTW, it get the customer's attention very
> quickly.  And, the bill is generally paid!
>
> Everyone has some feature that's important to them.  Just because you
> don't understand or see the reason doesn't mean it's not valid.
>
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 4:47 PM, Jean Aunis <jean.aunis at prescom.fr> wrote:
>
>> Le 13/11/2017 à 17:58, Steve Edwards a écrit :
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Nov 2017, James Finstrom wrote:
>>
>> Generally the idea of arbitrarily killing calls seems awful, even if the
>> behavior is expected. Yeah so john we need to .<CLICK> RING.... John is
>> confused, your brain has to reset because whatever was happening no longer
>> matters.
>>

>> At least play a message like "The boss needs to call his
>> mom/bookie/hooker. Thank you for understanding, your call just wasn't
>> important enough. Better luck next time -- and have a great day."
>>

>> Thank you for your remarks. The fact is, it is not a question of user
>> experience. We are working on critical communication networks, in which
>> network resources are limited. Hanging up a low priority call to leave room
>> to another is not an option, it is an absolute necessity, and it must be
>> done in near real-time. We cannot afford to play any announcement.
>>
>> By the way, I think call preemption is a native feature of ISDN networks
>> (at least it's my understanding of the MLPP stuff, but I'm not a ISDN
>> expert). But it is probably not used very often.
>>
>> --
>>

> --

*James Finstrom*
Guy who does stuff that is sometimes cool

This email was sent from a personal email account. The content of this
email is not endorsed by my employer or any project I may be a part of. The
contents of this email should be considered my opinion and not taken as any
form of official response. Please keep your hands and feet in the ride
while in motion. Please be sure to tip the wait staff.