[asterisk-dev] Open Invitation - Open Source VoIP Documentation Project

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Mon Nov 6 16:59:07 CST 2017

On Sat, Nov 4, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Nir Simionovich <nir.simionovich at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>   Following Astricon 2017, and my own personal interest in providing the
> community with more detailed documentation sources and specifically - best
> of practice and how-to documents, I've opened a public gitlab project,
> specifically for this object.
>
>   The project is located at https://gitlab.com/osvoipdoc-project - and
> people are welcome to ask for access to contribute documentation. I've
> already started working on the first how-to, which is an Asterisk+Opus
> installation guide. It's geared toward installing Asterisk on cloud
> instances, with Alexander Traud's Opus patches - which work really well.
>
>   The project is split into several sub-projects, mainly - asterisk,
> kamailio and cloudformation. Cloudformation is something I've received an
> interest from AWS, in regards to providing the community with a solid set
> of cloudformation and cloud-init templates to use for deploying Asterisk,
> Kamailio and other open source VoIP tools into Amazon AWS.
>
>   Currently, the project includes both myself and Lenz Emitrely, who
> showed a keen interest in assisting with this project. Others had showed
> similar interest during Astricon, so please logon to gitlab and join the
> project.
>
>   For the time being, I will serve as both writer and curator - till other
> people step in and provide additional assistance.
>
> Regards,
>   Nir Simionovich

Hey Nir,

First off, thanks for taking on the great challenge of documenting the
cross project open source telephony world :-) (that was a mouthful to say).

I noticed one or two documents that might be interesting to have included
in some kind of Asterisk documentation, like your  "How to add a library to
the build process" - that might be some kind of Asterisk source code
included document, as well as your document on "Dial plan best practices" -
that might fit on the wiki.  What does everybody else think?

Just a few thoughts, but so far, it looks like a good start!

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager