[asterisk-dev] AMI/ARI versioning

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Fri Mar 31 09:47:36 CDT 2017

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Corey Farrell <git at cfware.com> wrote:

> On 03/30/2017 07:14 PM, Kevin Harwell wrote:
> I think it's worth referencing a previous discussion on this [1].

Yes, thank you! I looked for this and for some reason my searches turned up
nothing.

> I agree with Mark's idea that having the ARI/AMI major version tied to the
> Asterisk branch could lead to confusion, lead people to believe that ARI
> 14.3.0 == Asterisk 14.3.0.

Yeah I could see that causing confusion.

Mark Michelson wrote:

> 2) Bump the major version of ARI for each major release of Asterisk. We
> won't retroactively apply this to the upgrade from Asterisk 12 to
> Asterisk 13. So Asterisk 13 will have ARI versions 1.X.Y, Asterisk 14
> will have ARI versions 2.X.Y, and Asterisk 15 will end up with Asterisk
> 3.X.Y

I'm assuming the other numbers would just be reset here? For instance when
Asterisk 15 is released it would it become 3.0.0?

I think either way we do it the versioning ends up being somewhat localized
to the associated branch and the major number can't change once set on a
branch.