[asterisk-dev] SDP API Wiki Page

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Tue Jan 24 18:52:22 CST 2017

To piggyback on Josh's e-mail to the list, I have also placed a new page
[1] on the wiki detailing the plans to create an SDP API for Asterisk 15.

The core Asterisk team has a goal of creating a better video experience
(yes, that's purposely vague) in the upcoming major releases of Asterisk.
When "video" arises these days, the most common targets for video are
WebRTC endpoints. In order to get better WebRTC support, we need to add
support for a bunch of SDP parameters that we currently do not support. If
you look at Asterisk today, each channel driver that uses SDP to establish
media sessions contains their own SDP parsing/negotiating logic. If we are
going to be adding SDP features, it makes sense to have a single layer that
we can add options to without having to touch SDP-using channel drivers.
Furthermore, if new WebRTC-driven channel drivers get written, it is silly
to have to copy SDP logic around between all of those.

Thus the SDP API comes into being. The linked page describes the current
SDP negotiation process that occurs in the PJSIP channel driver, and then
it proposes an actual API. The API internals are deliberately not present
on the page since the API design is more important at this stage.

If people could take a look at the SDP API page and offer feedback, that
would be great. There are some specific questions at the bottom of the wiki
page that would be good to get answered.

Thanks,
Mark Michelson

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/SDP+Work