[asterisk-dev] Stream Support Wiki Page

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Jan 23 13:55:41 CST 2017

Greetings all,

Streams are something that have come up many times in the past and I'm
sure it is something we'd all like to have. To that end I've published a
wiki page[1] which details what streams should be capable of, what
behavior should be in the short term/middle term/long term, and an API.
This is currently targeted for Asterisk 15.

One of the things that was important to me when thinking about the
stream problem was that all the existing modules and functionality
should behave as they do today with a minimum of modifications (or
ideally none). I'd rather not revisit the media format change. The
design on the wiki accomplishes this by keeping changes isolated to the
core and ensuring behavior for existing interfaces matches what we have
today. Existing modules (including channel drivers) will not need any
changes done to them. It is only when we want to move that specific
module or functionality to supporting streams that code changes have to
be made.

Some questions to ask when looking at the wiki page though:

Are there any additional requirements of streams that have been left
out?
Does the backwards compatible idea make sense?
Does the API feel right?
Do any areas need further definition?

I look forward to all responses on this exciting subject! You can
continue discussion here or add as comments on the wiki page. I will be
monitoring both.

Cheers,

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Stream+Support

--