[asterisk-dev] Asterisk Logger find-replace in log messages

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Mon Jan 23 10:38:01 CST 2017

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 3:00 PM,  <info at asteriskite.com> wrote:
> Greetings! I would like to patch Asterisk Logger facility to include the
> following features.
>
> 1. Main purpose is to be able to find and replace sensitive information,
> such as Customer ID, PIN, Credit Card Information etc. Thus sensitive data
> in clear text can be removed prior to writing to syslog or console, rather
> than triggering via a logger rotate or cron job with say, sed or awk etc.
> 2. Create a file named, say, sanitize.conf in /etc/asterisk
> 3. Make changes to main/logger.c
> 4. re issue 'make install'
> 5. start asterisk with root cli verbosity desired
> 6. Syslog and console should reflect the find-replace as defined in
> sanitize.conf
>
> Attached
> 1. Sample dialplan
> 2. Sample sanitize.conf
> 3. changed main/logger.c - changes are marked by comment with word SANITIZE
>
> Right now, unable to issue commands in *CLI> like 'reload', 'logger rotate',
> 'logger reload'.
>
> It crashes with below output:
>
> Asterisk Ready.
> *CLI> logger reload
> /var/log/asterisk/sanitizeconf.log Logfile1 PHPAGI_ARGS_REPLACED_
> 0 (null)
> 0x2ad5bc0 Logfile pointer[2017-01-17 20:52:53]   == Parsing
> '/etc/asterisk/logger.conf': Found
> [2017-01-17 20:52:53]   == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/sanitize.conf': Found
>
> Hoping that experts here may find this a useful feature request! And also,
> help me with pointers how to proceed.

First off, that's a neat idea!  Thanks so much for letting us know
about such an interesting submission.  If you're not familiar with the
code contribution process, there is a great overview page to explain
the process at http://www.asterisk.org/community/developers

If you're seeking someone to help you debug your crash, a great place
to do that is the #asterisk-dev chatroom on irc.freenode.net.

Hope that helps, and thanks so much for your contribution.

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager