[asterisk-dev] app_queue: RINGNOANSWER event

Kevin Harwell kharwell at digium.com
Thu Jan 19 13:38:16 CST 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Troy Bowman <troy at lump.net> wrote:

> To me, RINGNOANSWER means that the agent either rejected or let it ring to
> timeout while the caller was waiting.  If the elapsed seconds equals
> timeout, they let it ring and never answered.  If the elapsed seconds is
> under the timeout, they rejected the call.
>
> <snip>
>
> In my opinion, if the caller abandons while we are ringing the agent's
> phone, it is not the agent's fault that the agent didn't pick up.  If a
> RINGNOANSWER would happen in that case, I'd be assigning fault where there
> is none.  In our call center, RINGNOANSWER is a criminal offense.  :)

This would be my interpretation as well. That is that RINGNOANSWER implies
that in some way the agent is to blame for the call not connecting.

> I sincerely hope we don't change this behavior.
>
> If the impetus for this is to show how long the agent's phone rang, we
> should put that statistic in data4 of ABANDON or something like that,
> because we already identify whether an agent's phone was in the process of
> ringing or being whispered to in ABANDON.  Even RINGCANCELED is misleading
> because the agent did not cancel.  It is still and ABANDON.
>

> On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 2:59 AM, Tomec Martin <tomec at ipex.cz> wrote:
>
>> <snip>
>>

>> So there are 2 ways to move forward:
>>
>> A)     Create RINGNOANSWER event after every call end without answer.
>> That breaks backward compatibility for thoose who rely on current behavior.
>>
>> B)      Create new event RINGCANCELED – which can be misleading, because
>> call was not canceled.

Between these options I lean toward 'B'. Creating a new event would
hopefully have a minimal amount of side effects. *Hopefully* most
parsers/filters would just ignore the new event.

I agree that RINGCANCELED can be misleading as well. Since ABANDON seems to
mean the caller hung up then how about calling it RINGABANDON instead?

A third option (mentioned on the code review [1] and by Troy) would be to
include the agent name/info in the ABANDON event.

[1] https://gerrit.asterisk.org/#/c/4649/

Kevin Harwell
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer