[asterisk-dev] app_queue: RINGNOANSWER event

Troy Bowman troy at lump.net
Thu Jan 19 12:22:57 CST 2017

To me, RINGNOANSWER means that the agent either rejected or let it ring to
timeout while the caller was waiting.  If the elapsed seconds equals
timeout, they let it ring and never answered.  If the elapsed seconds is
under the timeout, they rejected the call.

When the caller hangs up, whether it is ringing a phone or not, it is an
ABANDON.  If the ABANDON has an agent defined instead of NONE, we were
ringing an agent's phone when the ABANDON happened.  Every time the call
progresses to the next agent, after ringing an agent's phone, there is a
RINGNOANSWER in the log.

If the agent answered the call, but we were still whispering to the agent
how long the caller waited ("reportholdtime")  or whispering to the agent
any identifying "announce" or "announceoverride" (those names are ambiguous
to me, by the way, I think we should call that "whisper" or "gate_whisper"
something), it is still an ABANDON.  It is not the caller's fault that the
caller abandoned.

In my opinion, if the caller abandons while we are ringing the agent's
phone, it is not the agent's fault that the agent didn't pick up.  If a
RINGNOANSWER would happen in that case, I'd be assigning fault where there
is none.  In our call center, RINGNOANSWER is a criminal offense.  :)

I sincerely hope we don't change this behavior.

If the impetus for this is to show how long the agent's phone rang, we
should put that statistic in data4 of ABANDON or something like that,
because we already identify whether an agent's phone was in the process of
ringing or being whispered to in ABANDON.  Even RINGCANCELED is misleading
because the agent did not cancel.  It is still and ABANDON.