[asterisk-dev] Registration state for SIP over TCP or TLS

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Jan 9 12:52:57 CST 2017

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017, at 02:10 PM, Steve Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I believe that the current state of affairs with Asterisk's SIP over TCP
> or
> TLS registration is that if a connection is dropped or closed, then the
> registration is allowed to persist.
>
> Given that a re-connect will almost certainly not be from the same
> IP/port
> pair, should a TCP or TLS disconnect result in an under-the-hood
> de-register?
>
> I believe the issue does currently exist because I have seen dropped TCP
> or
> TLS connections result in an "xmit_error" when the next OPTIONS ping is
> attempted.
>
> Thoughts? Am I missing something, or would this be useful for me to look
> into patching?

It... depends.

In a world with connection reuse you can assume that when the connection
is dropped that you can't reach the other side anymore. However, if you
are expected to establish an outgoing connection to the remote side then
the logic that the connection has dropped and you can't reach them is
not true. The Contact in that case should be valid.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp