[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 14.0.1 Now Available

Lefteris Zafiris zaf at fastmail.com
Fri Sep 30 02:57:47 CDT 2016

On Thu, 29 Sep 2016, at 18:10, George Joseph wrote:
> The lawyers made us. ;-)
>  In order to lessen the risk of future legal action, the codec reports
>  anonymous stats to Digium once per day that contain the maximum
>  number of simultaneous opus channels in the past 24 hours.  Again,
>  totally anonymous. We don't even record ip addresss, just a uuid and
>  count. To protect that mechanism we had to do a binary distribution.

By a quick look at the codec_opus.so file we see that the function
license_count_send() uses libcurl to make a POST request to
'https://stats.asterisk.org/license' with the following headers/data:

{ "namespace": "codec_opus", "uuid": "%s", "high_water_mark": %d }

For those who feel uneasy about sending usage data to remote servers
the readme
http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telephony/codec_opus/asterisk-14.0/x86-64/README
states that 'If the module fails to send usage statistics, it will
NOT affect
the operation of the Opus codec'
So disabling this can be simply done by altering the host string for the
Digium statistics server with something like the following:

sed -i 's%stats.asterisk.org%127.0.0.1/fooo/bar%' codec_opus.so

or by adding stats.asterisk.org in your hosts file and pointing
it to some
neutral IP like 127.0.0.1

--
Lefteris Zafiris