[asterisk-dev] ARI StasisEnd event vs. channel variables

Sébastien Duthil sduthil at proformatique.com
Wed Oct 19 12:16:34 CDT 2016

On 18/10/16 10:13 AM, Matt Fredrickson wrote:
> *snip*
> Your proposal sounds reasonable to me - that is to say, I can't see anything wrong with adding that behavior.
> *snip*

Great!

On 19/10/16 07:45 AM, Matthew Jordan wrote:
> Two thoughts:
> (1) I wonder if anyone needs the state conveyed on events other than
> StasisEnd? If Asterisk is maintaining all of your state for you, and
> you need to know some part of the state in your external application,
> how do you ask for it?

In our application, the GET|POST /channels/<channel>/variable is enough
for most cases, and we're happy with it. The only situation where it is
lacking is when the channel is hung up, and variables can't be retrieved
anymore.

> (2) Even if we emit variable state on StasisEnd, how would we know
> which state to emit? Would we want to require users to provide it up
> front in ari.conf, or through some more dynamic mechanism?

In our application, the list of variables returned by "core show channel
XXX" would be sufficient. We do not currently need function results, and
some of them are already provided in the Channel object of the event,
like CALLERID(name) and CALLERID(num).

On 18/10/16 10:26 AM, Joshua Colp wrote:
> I don't think that channel variables are substantial enough in the
> case where this isn't being used to really need to adding a knob to
> turn it on/off. That's just me, though.

If variables are added only to a StasisEnd event, I agree. If variables
are added on all events, a configuration option would be nice, given the
impact on performance.

--
Sébastien Duthil