[asterisk-dev] ARI versioning in 13 and 14

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Thu Nov 17 12:32:54 CST 2016

Hi!

We were just about to start making the next round of release candidates
for Asterisk. In doing so, we knew that we needed to bump the minor
versions of AMI and ARI since new stuff had been added since the
previous release. For AMI, this was fairly trivial. For ARI...well...

Currently, Asterisk 13 reports the ARI version as being 1.9.0. Asterisk
14 reports the version as being 1.10.0. Asterisk 14 contains ARI
commands not present in 13. If we bump the ARI version in 13, then it
becomes 1.10.0. It therefore would have the same version as the initial
release of 14, which leads to confusion. An ARI developer might think
this means that Asterisk 13 has gained the new ARI commands introduced
in Asterisk 14. But it hasn't.

What should we do here? We've currently thought of a few of ways of
going with this:

1) Just bump the minor versions and document somewhere that the ARI
version is "local" to a particular release of Asterisk. Therefore
Asterisk 14's 1.10.0 is not the same as Asterisk 13's 1.10.0

2) Bump the major version of ARI for each major release of Asterisk. We
won't retroactively apply this to the upgrade from Asterisk 12 to
Asterisk 13. So Asterisk 13 will have ARI versions 1.X.Y, Asterisk 14
will have ARI versions 2.X.Y, and Asterisk 15 will end up with Asterisk
3.X.Y

3) Set the major version of ARI identical to the major version of
Asterisk. Going forward, Asterisk 13 will have ARI versions 13.X.Y,
Asterisk 14 will have ARI versions 14.X.Y, and Asterisk 15 will have ARI
versions 15.X.Y

My personal choice would be to go with option 2. Option 1 is just
generally confusing and makes keeping track of ARI versions difficult.
Option 3 is tempting, but it could also cause confusion since the minor
versions of Asterisk and ARI will be out of sync (e.g. a user might
assume that Asterisk 14.3.0 would require ARI version 14.3.0, when
that's not actually the case).

Feel free to voice your support for one of these options or to suggest
something of your own.

Thanks,
Mark Michelson