[asterisk-dev] ASTERISK-26145 - Task Process Issues possibly caused by HEP

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Jun 28 09:53:08 CDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 9:48 AM, Matt Fredrickson <creslin at digium.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 8:54 AM, Ross Beer <ross.beer at outlook.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> I am still facing a task processor issue on subm:rtp_topic-000000de, looking
>> at the backtrace it looks to be related to HEP.
>
> Sounds like you're having some good luck sleuthing :-)
>
>> HEP is enabled by default and sends packets to 192.168.1.1:9061, shouldn't
>> this be disabled by default and not enabled in Asterisk 13? It makes no
>> sense to send packets if you can't be sure that a HEP server exists at the
>> default server location.
>
> I'd tend to agree with that logic.  I haven't done much work with HEP,
> but if HEP is enabled by default, we should probably change that
> behavior.  HEP should only be enabled if you "opt in" by setting it
> up.
>
> Just my .02.
>
> Anybody else have any thoughts?

I don't really care if they are enabled by default or not. For the
most part, most modules in Asterisk are 'opt-out', not 'opt-in', but
it doesn't really matter to me. Alternatively, instead of disabling
the modules from building, the HEP modules can be disabled by setting
the 'enabled' option to 'no' - which could also be changed in the
sample config file.

I will say that if you're installing the sample config files and not
updating them - particularly for things that you aren't interfacing to
- then you're setting up your systems poorly. The sample config files
have long been used for documentation purposes - running 'make
samples' and walking away is going to give you a bad time, and not
just because of the HEP modules.

Since these are just config file modifications we're talking about, a
patch should be provided and submitted to Gerrit. This is a patch that
anyone - including the issue reporter - could write. To echo what Josh
said, this doesn't really merit a lengthy discussion on the mailing
list, nor does it require 'poking' developers.

Matt

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | CTO