[asterisk-dev] Advice for having a bug fixed

Jonathan Rose jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com
Thu Jul 21 10:18:48 CDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 10:16 AM, Jonathan Rose <
jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Leandro Dardini <ldardini at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am looking for an advice for having a bug fixed. I am talking about
>> ASTERISK-25468
>>
>> https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-25468
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.asterisk.org_jira_browse_ASTERISK-2D25468&d=CwMFaQ&c=q3cDpHe1hF8lXU5EFjNM_A&r=50uagQBTpQAKCx3KjAwJcMd6ygCPToAyDAxH5npANtf7nLmyZ65ofHGUgyJr9BW8&m=8oweXmTYv6iT31umA06yAyB-fu-jpgwKlSkZFJiouSQ&s=VltNLrZUyU2uK9cFJIPt-Tt5sBxawYnD9EzcSzH1D0A&e=>
>>
>> I tried posting a bounty for this issue, but got no feedback.
>>
>> Is chan_sip definitively abandoned and no fixes will be done?
>>
>> Is the bounty too low? Which can be a reasonable price to have it fixed?
>>
>> Is the bug too big to be fixed?
>>
>> Leandro
>>
>> --
>>

> chan_sip isn't definitively abandoned since Asterisk 11 doesn't have
> chan_pjsip and Asterisk 11 doesn't go
>  security fix only until October. I don't think the problem is with the
> value of the bounty (although obviously
> if someone thinks they might hit the lottery instead of just getting a
> week's pay or so that could make a
> difference)... it's just that the pool of people who are familiar with
> this code is pretty small and are likely
> strapped for bandwidth at the moment.
>
> One thing that would probably get people to jump on the task is if you
> could provide a simple means of
> reproducing the deadlock from relatively clean configuration.
>
> --
>
> *Jonathan R. Rose*Senior Systems Engineer
>
> Emergency CallWorks
> Motorola Solutions
>
> email: jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com

Oh, and it goes without saying (but I'm going to write it anyway), but an
alternative to relying on randos
is to get a Digium support contract. It's much more reliable than hoping
someone with spare time and a
working knowledge of the Asterisk source feels like they need a little
extra money. But probably also
more expensive.

email: jonathan.rose at motorolasolutions.com