[asterisk-dev] Development of asterisk 1.4.23 Can we please get some development?

Matt Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Thu Jul 14 15:21:52 CDT 2016

Response inline below.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 3:13 PM, Loren Tedford <lorentedford at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings this email is really going to be directed more at the development
> community and i am just going to jump in the fire and explain whats going
> on..
> Most of the development group has not clue what a radio is or a repeater or
> commercial and public safety communications.. All you guys understand now is
> the basic concepts of voice over ip using a computer telephony system
> customized directly for call center like environments.. Here is what you
> guys missed when you left us out in the dust on asterisk 1.4.23.. We use it
> too!.. We love asterisk 1.4.23 but would like to see either security
> improvements and or some active development to get us out of the stone age..
> Now since we use this technology to talk to both radios and telephones its
> important to be very careful when adjusting code.. But we need development
> we need testers we need to get security patches at least..
>
> Is it possible that anyone in the development team would help us make our
> version of asterisk better.. Or so I should say the original version of
> asterisk better..

That is up to individual developers, but from my perspective and I'm
guessing for a large number of the current developers, 1.4.23 and the
1.4.x branch in general is probably not going to get very much
attention.  The 1.4 branch was released about 10 years ago and was
EOL'd in 2012.

My suggestion is to migrate any customizations and extensions to a
more modern version of Asterisk.  Other developers may speak for
themselves. :-)

> Remember we are connecting radios to this so it will have to key and unkey
> so that way it tells our equipment to let the radios unkey etc..
>
> Here is our current active development..
> https://github.com/N4IRS/AllStar
>
> Here is kinda what we use to make our stuff work..
> http://svn.ohnosec.org/svn/projects/allstar/
>

> If you have questions how how we use asterisk please let us know.. I hate to
> say it you guys left us so far in the dust we might even have to split
> asterisk version and just create one for radio users and phone users verses
> what you guys have now which is just phone users..
>
> How has asterisk 1.4.23 been useful with the app_rpt well lets put it this
> way their is times when the cellular networks go down.. Through wireless
> back haul data links we can often times get emergency related messages out
> through are radios thru the phone system..

Sounds like a very interesting project :-)

--
Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager