[asterisk-dev] Asterisk pjsip support all media_encryption no/dtls/sdes for incoming request

Henry Lin zxcpoiu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 23:38:40 CST 2016

Hi Joshua,

Thanks for your tips.

For the OUTGOING part, there is no problem. we already did as you said (
use inherited endpoints).

For INCOMING part, you said:

1.  media_encryption_optimistic is created for SDES, which can supports
both sdes and no-encryption in the same config endpoints.
    and our test for DTLS also works but is a side effect.

2. a new param of media_encryption = "optional" is possible to do in the
code, which can supports SDES/DTLS/NO-ENCRYPTION at the same config
endpoint for incoming ( ex: caller ).

So in your opinion:

would it be better to integrate media_encryption = "optional" with
media_encryption_optimistic = true ? or just leave them separated?

since they are trying to solve the same problem --- support webrtc clients
but also have backward-compatibility to the huge amount of old-school
devices

media_encryption = "optional" implies media_encryption_optimistic = true.

by the way,
Is there anyone already implement this, or opened an issue tracker that can
be patched ?

> Henry Lin wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>>

>> *This issue had  discussed before, you can check at:*
>>
>> Sun Nov 9 17:54:36 CST 2014
>> [asterisk-dev] Notes from setting up SIP+TLS/RTP+DTLS
>> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2014-November/071322.html
>>

>> *Current situation:*
>>
>> 1. currently, asterisk (13.6) use "identity" ( ip / FROM / TO ) to
>> identify incoming user and attach an matched "endpoint" configuration to
>> it.
>>
>> 2. in the configuration, there is a option named: media_encryption
>> <
>> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+13+Configuration_res_pjsip#Asterisk13Configuration_res_pjsip-endpoint_media_encryption>
>> =
>> no / dtls / srtp, default: no
>>      it means the endpoint should use this setting during RTP setup, you
>> can use one of it.
>>      so if you set to: dtls, the matched client should always use dtls
>> in their sdp and send to asterisk
>>
>> 3. fortunately, you can combine with other options:
>> media_encryption_optimistic
>> <
>> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+13+Configuration_res_pjsip#Asterisk13Configuration_res_pjsip-endpoint_media_use_received_transport>
>> =
>> yes
>> media_use_received_transport
>> <
>> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+13+Configuration_res_pjsip#Asterisk13Configuration_res_pjsip-endpoint_media_encryption_optimistic>
>> =
>> yes
>>
>>      it will achieve: Asterisk can accept both the "encryption type" set
>> in media_encryption
>> <
>> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+13+Configuration_res_pjsip#Asterisk13Configuration_res_pjsip-endpoint_media_encryption>
>> and
>> No Encryption.
>>      ex: if you set media_encryption
>> <
>> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+13+Configuration_res_pjsip#Asterisk13Configuration_res_pjsip-endpoint_media_encryption>
>> =
>> dtls, then you can accept both dtls and no encryption ( but not sdes )
>> and vice versa.
>>

> The media_encryption_optimistic option was originally created for use with
> SDES, where there's a way that companies implement to do it. We don't
> currently have tests for its use with DTLS and if it works I would say
> that's a side effect of it.

Oops!