[asterisk-dev] Plan for updating the ARI Swagger Version

Dan Jenkins dan.jenkins88 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 03:56:26 CST 2016

Hi Everyone,

I've been looking at how we can add proxy support (1) to the Node.js ARI
Client for the past couple of days and have hit a few issues which I'm sure
we'll be able to work out. But this has led me down the path of looking
into the current status of swagger.

Swagger recently donated it's specification to the OpenAPI initiative and
so the specification is now called the OpenAPI specification. It was also
bumped to version 2.0 (2). While updating a dependency for no real gain
isn't always seen as a good thing. In this case, I feel we are going to get
to a point (and are already nearing it) where tools that we want to use
around swagger will become obsolete for the version of swagger we are using
within Asterisk.

I've been looking at generating libraries from the swagger specification
and came across many many issues because we're using version 1.1 - the
swagger team were surprised I was even attempting it. The other code
generator I was looking at has a minimum of specification version 1.2. I
fear this issue will only get worse as time goes on.

Now, I'm not saying we need to change it right now, and I know there are
inherent difficulties with upgrading the version of the specification that
we use, as it then ruins libraries that expect to work with swagger version
1.1 etc, however, I think we do need a plan to update the version - whether
that's with Asterisk 14 or whatever; as long as its on the roadmap then I'm
happy, currently I don't think it is.

What are people's thoughts?

1.
http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-app-dev/2016-February/000753.html