[asterisk-dev] ARI Snoop

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sun Jul 19 16:40:17 CDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 4:01 PM, Phil Mickelson <phil at cbasoftware.com>
wrote:

> Thank you for your response.
>
> Phil Mickelson
>
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
>
>> Phil Mickelson wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've written a full answering service application with Asterisk at the
>>> center.  All of my interaction with Asterisk is through ARI.  Thank you
>>> so much for this feature!  Without it I wouldn't have been able to make
>>> this work!
>>>
>>> I've just implemented a new Snoop feature.  Without boring you with the
>>> details (unless you want them) I am able to Snoop on an operator
>>> regardless of whether or not they are on an active call.  However, the
>>> only way the Whisper option works is if they are on an actual call.  The
>>> only difference internally is there are two channels connected through a
>>> central bridge.  Otherwise, the operator's channel is the only one in
>>> that bridge.
>>>
>>> Since I can hear the operator regardless of the current call situation
>>> I'm assuming there must be code in the Snoop option to mute the operator
>>> if a call is not active?
>>>

>> There is no code to do that. What whispering does require though (for
>> both Chanspy and Snoop channels) is a constant media stream out to the
>> channel. It's likely that in the specific scenario there is nothing
>> generating a stream and thus nothing to whisper into.
>>
>> There's an open issue[1] to remove this requirement but I know of noone
>> currently working on it.
>>
>> [1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-24397

Well nuts. Looks like my theory wasn't right :-)

I wonder - as a workaround until that issue is addressed, you *may* be able
to force the Whisper by starting Silence on the target channel first:

https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+13+Channels+REST+API#Asterisk13ChannelsRESTAPI-startSilence

That *should* start silence frames going to the target of the Snoop
channel, at which point, there's at least something flowing through to
allow the audiohook to start sending Whispered audio.

(If I'm wrong, Josh will tell me why :-)

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Director of Technology