[asterisk-dev] ARI Snoop

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sun Jul 19 15:56:13 CDT 2015

Phil Mickelson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a full answering service application with Asterisk at the
> center.  All of my interaction with Asterisk is through ARI.  Thank you
> so much for this feature!  Without it I wouldn't have been able to make
> this work!
>
> I've just implemented a new Snoop feature.  Without boring you with the
> details (unless you want them) I am able to Snoop on an operator
> regardless of whether or not they are on an active call.  However, the
> only way the Whisper option works is if they are on an actual call.  The
> only difference internally is there are two channels connected through a
> central bridge.  Otherwise, the operator's channel is the only one in
> that bridge.
>
> Since I can hear the operator regardless of the current call situation
> I'm assuming there must be code in the Snoop option to mute the operator
> if a call is not active?

There is no code to do that. What whispering does require though (for
both Chanspy and Snoop channels) is a constant media stream out to the
channel. It's likely that in the specific scenario there is nothing
generating a stream and thus nothing to whisper into.

There's an open issue[1] to remove this requirement but I know of noone
currently working on it.

[1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-24397

--
Joshua Colp