[asterisk-dev] Opinions Needed: PJSIP Outboud Registration with multiple server_uris

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Sat Sep 20 16:13:11 CDT 2014

George Joseph wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 2:20 PM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com
> <mailto:jcolp at digium.com>> wrote:
>
>     George Joseph wrote:
>
>     <snip>
>

>         I was thinking that we probably don't want to create hard coded
>         objects
>         called "trunk", "user", etc.  Instead let the user define the
>         patterns
>         that suit them.
>

>     It would be much more approachable for a user with specific types.
>

> Is this agreement on letting the user define the patterns (with samples
> provides) or are you saying we should hardcode types?  There are enough
> variations in the patterns that I don't think we could create viable
> 'trunk', 'user', etc. objects.  I'd make this a separate config
> (pjsip_express.conf or something) with a default set of pattern definitions.

I'm saying for making it easier to configure PJSIP for users there could
be hardcoded types which represent the common types that users need. If
more control is required than the lower level detailed ones can be used.
It is certainly possible to have 'phone' and 'trunk' types which are
useful for a good percentage.

Your pattern idea I would say is an alternative way for doing it, but is
still more complicated than distinct types and requires explanation.

Given the following (even without documentation) could someone coming
from sip.conf understand it?

[1000]
type=phone
secret=notverysecret
context=trusted
disallow=all
allow=g722
mailbox=1000

I err on the side of yes. That's what I think is needed. Heck, it's hard
enough to get people to realize they can use templates.

--
Joshua Colp