[asterisk-dev] Git Migration

Russell Bryant russell at russellbryant.net
Thu Sep 18 16:12:03 CDT 2014

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Samuel Galarneau <sgalarneau at digium.com>
wrote:

>> A couple more comments about the magic happening here ...
>>
>> First, "git review" knows where to push based on a file checked in to the
>> repo:
>>
>>  $ cat .gitreview
>> [gerrit]
>> host=review.openstack.org
>> port=29418
>> project=openstack/nova.git
>>
>> "git review" also sets up a local commit hook that adds a "Change-Id"
>> header to your commit message.  That Change-Id is what links multiple
>> revisions of the same change together.  So, if you edit your change and
>> push it again, as long as the Change-Id remains the same, gerrit treats it
>> as the same review request and not a new one.
>>

> Sounds good to me. So it doesn't really matter from which repo you post a
> review so long as it's a clone of the original with that .gitreview file.
>
> I have another question unrelated to reviews. Does your setup make it easy
> to mirror a repo? In a more complicated scenario, what if someone had a
> private fork but they wanted to get public commits to master mirrored to
> their repo? Would they have to treat the original repo as upstream and
> manually pull changes and rebase their private branch off of it?

Mirroring, sure.  I don't remember exactly how we do it, but all OpenStack
repos are mirrored to github for convenience, for example.

Regarding private branches, git generally makes that kind of thing
***MUCH*** easier than svn.  You can easily track the exact commits that
are applied on top of upstream.  You could either periodically rebase your
changes on top of upstream (re-applying the commits, rewriting history but
a cleaner history), or periodically merge from upstream.  In either case, I
personally wouldn't automate it.  You want some sanity checking around that
stuff.  Conflicts happen.  Really, I think this is going to be MUCH better
no matter what specific infrastructure you go with.

--
Russell Bryant