[asterisk-dev] Git Migration

Samuel Galarneau sgalarneau at digium.com
Thu Sep 18 14:01:59 CDT 2014

> A couple more comments about the magic happening here ...
>
> First, "git review" knows where to push based on a file checked in to the
> repo:
>
>  $ cat .gitreview
> [gerrit]
> host=review.openstack.org
> port=29418
> project=openstack/nova.git
>
> "git review" also sets up a local commit hook that adds a "Change-Id"
> header to your commit message.  That Change-Id is what links multiple
> revisions of the same change together.  So, if you edit your change and
> push it again, as long as the Change-Id remains the same, gerrit treats it
> as the same review request and not a new one.

Sounds good to me. So it doesn't really matter from which repo you post a
review so long as it's a clone of the original with that .gitreview file.

I have another question unrelated to reviews. Does your setup make it easy
to mirror a repo? In a more complicated scenario, what if someone had a
private fork but they wanted to get public commits to master mirrored to
their repo? Would they have to treat the original repo as upstream and
manually pull changes and rebase their private branch off of it?

--

Samuel Fortier-Galarneau
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer