[asterisk-dev] Git Migration

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Wed Sep 17 09:41:19 CDT 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 6:27 AM, Corey Farrell <git at cfware.com> wrote:

> The Wiki page mentions SSL certificates/SSH keys for commit access,
> but doesn't mention self-service SSH key management.  I don't know the
> full details of how this works, but the ability to add/remove keys
> without involving Digium folks would be very nice.  Management of
> keys/certificates is something worth noting for the different options
> being considered.  I'm guessing this doesn't apply if SSL certificates
> are used.

In my mind, there really need to be three broad classifications of users:

(1) Those who can contribute code and make requests for code to be merged.
This should be everyone.
(2) Those who can merge code into the various maintenance branches/master.
This should be restricted to some extent. How we do that can be a function
of a lot of different things - SSH keys, SSL certs, or - if using gerrit -
its built-in groups.
(3) Those who can make new tags/releases. Again, this can either be a
restriction via some access mechanism, or - depending on the size of the
people in (2) - it can simply be an agreed upon notion that you don't make
tags willy-nilly.

How we go about that really depends on the tools. Gerrit supports OpenID,
and Atlassian Crowd (which the Asterisk project already uses) is an OpenID
provider. We'll need to lab that up to understand how well that works, but
it does sound promising - and would potentially remove the need for SSL
certs or SSH keys.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager