[asterisk-dev] Git Migration

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Tue Sep 16 21:53:14 CDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at russellbryant.net>
wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM, Russell Bryant <russell at russellbryant.net
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:01 PM, Russell Bryant <
>> russell at russellbryant.net> wrote:
>>
>>> From a high level, all patches go to a code review system.  *Every*
>>> patch must be peer reviewed (usually by 2 people, but that's a policy
>>> decision).  *Every* patch must also pass tests.  Once a patch passes both
>>> tests and peer review, it is automatically merged into the repository.
>>>

>> I just thought of another important bit of the workflow ... the CLA
>> handling.
>>
>> With Asterisk today, all patches go through the issue tracker.  The issue
>> tracker handles the CLA.  Uploading code to the issue tracker bypasses
>> that, so we had to hack reviewboard to also know about CLAs.  OpenStack
>> uses a CLA, as well, and gerrit has built-in CLA handling.

Yup, CLAs still matter.

For what it's worth, we wrote a Crowd plug-in for Review Board that allows
authenticated users who have signed a CLA to log in and/or post code. That
helps to keep non-licensed contributions from getting pushed too far into
the process.

The fact that gerrit has an option for this is a huge plus.

> Some more workflow comments, sorry... and then maybe I'll shut up.  :-)
>
> One thing I really like about gerrit vs review board is that gerrit is
> focused on git and as a result, has more native git integration.  Posting
> code reviews is just "git review" from your git tree.  "git review" is
> really just a helper around a normal "git push".  You can push a patch
> series to gerrit and gerrit understands what that is and tracks the patch
> dependencies.  Last I checked, review board still lacked any sort of
> support for a series of patches related to each other.
>
> Also, if you're really attached to doing code reviews in a console and
> maybe even offline, someone in the OpenStack community made gertty [1],
> which is a replacement for using the web UI.  It's gerrit, but entirely
> synced locally and in a terminal.  I've used it for several hours while
> offline on an airplane and it's pretty darn amazing.  It syncs all the
> reviews you did back to gerrit once you're back online.
>
> [1]
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/045013.html

I'm not tied to doing code reviews off-line - we can't right now! - so this
would be a benefit over the current workflow with Review Board.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Engineering Manager