[asterisk-dev] AstriDevCon 2014: Agenda item Deprecate AMI/AGI (Ben Klang)

Jared Smith jaredsmith at jaredsmith.net
Wed Oct 29 16:33:52 CDT 2014

On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Paul Albrecht <palbrecht at glccom.com>
wrote:

> None of said “discussion” ever happened on the lists nor was the broader
> Asterisk community involved as far as I can determine. A parallel
> “discussion” was started by a shill at AstiCon this year to begin to get
> the “vast unwashed” onboard with ARI/Stasis, that is, so that Matt could
> come back from AstiCon claiming that the broader Asterisk community is in
> agreement that ARI/Stasis is the future of Asterisk and that the dial plan
> can be deprecated.

I'm not going to take the time to comment on every trivial detail here, but
I'd be remiss if I didn't highight a few things.  First, Asterisk
development (including ARI) happened in the open.  It's been discussed at
the Asterisk Developer Conferences, on the mailing lists, etc. While some
people have suggested that they'd like to move completely to ARI, I
personally don't think that we'll see a complete move away from the
dialplan anytime in the next ten years.  That being said, I'm glad that the
people who *want* to move away from the dialplan are more easily able to do
so now.  Part of that stems from the fact that Asterisk has traditionally
been a PBX, and is now moving to also be a media engine.  For some of my
own personal projects, I'll probably never move away from the dialplan.
For others, the dialplan is something I can live without.  While the
majority of the people in the room at AstriDevCon were in agreement that
ARI/Stasis *is* part of the future of Asterisk, I don't think there was
anywhere close to a majority that thought the dial plan can be deprecated.

Second, let me state that attacking the people in this channel doesn't help
your case -- let's keep things civil here and debate *what* is right, not
*who is right*.  By using inflammatory language, you're just making other
developers in this channel *less* likely to take you seriously, not more
likely.  I'd personally never want this channel to just become an echo
chamber, but it does need to be safe space where people feel like they can
share their opinions and ideas.  If people feel threatened or belittled,
they're much more likely to be hostile to your opinions or ideas.

--
Jared Smith