[asterisk-dev] AstriDevCon 2014: Agenda item Deprecate AMI/AGI (Ben Klang)

Paul Albrecht palbrecht at glccom.com
Wed Oct 29 14:31:23 CDT 2014

On Oct 28, 2014, at 5:03 PM, Ben Langfeld <ben at langfeld.me> wrote:

> On 28 October 2014 19:47, Derek Andrew <Derek.Andrew at usask.ca> wrote:
> What is the alternative to the dial plan? Is everyone talking about getting rid of the statements like:
> exten => s,1,
>
> what is the alternative?
>
> Remote applications based on APIs like ARI. This is the start of the discussion, and please remember that nothing has been decided or even presented as a robust plan yet. This is brain-storming.

We’re not at the start of the “discussion” to deprecate the dial plan. The start of the “discussion” began when some developers decided to try standing Asterisk on its head by adding  “asynchronous AGI.” Evidently, that was good so then they continued the “discussion” by adding ARI/Stasis. Now the “discussion” is in full career as ARI/Stasis has metastasized beyond its original scope to encompass all of Asterisk. None of said “discussion” ever happened on the lists nor was the broader Asterisk community involved as far as I can determine. A parallel “discussion” was started by a shill at AstiCon this year to begin to get the “vast unwashed” onboard with ARI/Stasis, that is, so that Matt could come back from AstiCon claiming that the broader Asterisk community is in agreement that ARI/Stasis is the future of Asterisk and that the dial plan can be deprecated. The inevitable result of these parallel paths is a completely predictable train wreck when the developers designing features that users don’t want crash into users who have been using Asterisk as originally designed.

> Additionally, note that the original proposal was to deprecate AMI/AGI in favour of ARI once it is feature complete with those protocols; an entirely lesser change than the removal of the dialplan in its entirety.

So you're saying that deprecating the dial plan is not on the table? How then do you explain statements like this: "Leif: we're in a transition, moving from dialplan model to external control model.  Probably need external application to be built for us to move completely away from AMI/AGI.” or  this "Paul: take away apps, and whatever is in the core is what we should care about.”