[asterisk-dev] [asterisk-users] AstriDevCon 2014: Agenda itemDeprecate AMI/AGI(Ben Klang)

Paul Albrecht palbrecht at glccom.com
Wed Oct 22 13:55:43 CDT 2014

On Oct 22, 2014, at 11:31 AM, Matthew Jordan <mjordan at digium.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Paul Albrecht <palbrecht at glccom.com> wrote:
>
> On Oct 22, 2014, at 10:33 AM, Joshua Colp <jcolp at digium.com> wrote:
>
> > Paul Albrecht wrote:
> >> Really? Shouldn’t something this major affecting the entire Asterisk
> >> community get discussed on the lists? Any idea what Leif is talking
> >> about when he says the community is in transition, moving from dial
> >> plan model to external control.
> >
> > It was something Ben Klang brought up and wanted to talk about - it's
> > not something that has been decided 'nor does anyone know what the
> > future entails. Any further discussions will naturally occur on the
> > mailing list and in fact some things have explicit action items to bring
> > them up on here.
> >

> The suggestion that Asterisk should consider deprecating AMI/AGI is “crazy talk.” It doesn’t merit discussion and shouldn’t be on the agenda in the first place. It’s completely impractical and can never happen. Moreover, Leif seems to think we (the asterisk community) are in transition. What does that mean? Are we abandoning the dial plan? Seriously? That’s never gonna happen either. ARI isn’t easier to use than dial plan scripting. I guess one could hope that "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”, but I don’t think the Asterisk community has that kind of luck.
>

> Just because someone decided to bring up a radical idea does not mean we refuse to discuss it.

So you agree that deprecating AMI/AGI is “crazy talk” but you’ll discuss it because of your open-mindedness?

> This is an open source project. Communication is done in an open, transparent manner. People should feel like they can bring up interesting, radical, and yes - even crazy - ideas.

By the same token, when you propose ideas, you must be prepared for honest criticism and accept it in graciously rather than simply resorting to argument ad hominem.

> If you don't like that, you don't have to participate in the discussion.

You haven’t really responded to the substance of my post, that is, is asterisk abandoning the dial plan?